Wednesday, October 7, 2015

What is C-diff?

According to my latest research, approximately 30,000 to 50,000 Americans die of c-diff every year and more than 450,000 become infected by this deadly bug. If I had access to more up-to-date research, I am convinced the number would be much higher. As I mentioned earlier, it was antibiotics--rather the overuse of antibiotics--that caused my C-diff. First of all, I want to remind my readers that the average human digestive tract hosts as many as 1,000 species of microorganisms, most of them causing no harm. But when antibiotics upset the balance of these organisms, harmless bacteria can quickly grow and make you very, very sick. A doctor, who is a friend of mine, is known for saying that antibiotics do not have a brain--they cannot target the bad bacteria without also targeting the good bacteria. When the bad overpowers the good, we get yeast infections, an annoying problem which most women are all too familiar with. Also, with such imbalance, one of the worst offenders is a bacterium called Clostridium difficile--relatively rare as compared to other intestinal bacteria. C-diff releases toxins that attack the lining of the intestines. Without intervention, c-diff can kill you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment