Wednesday, October 7, 2015

How This Journey Began--April 2008

It started with a sphenoid sinus infection that was very stubborn. Because the sphenoid is close to the brain, my doctor wanted to avoid surgery if possible. Thus I was given antibiotics and more antibiotics, all of them very powerful. But the infection resisted treatment so the antibiotics continued and finally--after a second opinion at Cleveland Clinic--I seemed to have overcome the infection. It was great to be feeling good again but, unfortunately, I had other symptoms occur that did not seem to be connected in any way to the sinus infection. I was correct; instead the symptoms were connected to the cure. I began to have digestive troubles with constant nausea and  diarrhea that would not clear up. After a couple of weeks I went to my primary care doctor who ordered several tests. When I received the results, I was not too alarmed but rather relieved to have an answer.  I had something called c-diff which was brought on by the antibiotics. Surprisingly, the cure was more specialized antibiotics that defeats the disease in approximately 70 to 80 percent of patients. So, this was an inconvenience but not a big deal.  Or so I thought! Thank God that I did not know what was ahead of me that would take me to the brink of death and cause severe health problems for years. It would influence my physical, emotional, and social life in extremely negative ways. Please follow me through this journey as what I explain could save your life which is my only reason for sharing my ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment