Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Little Advice Regarding C-diff

As mentioned, most disinfectants will not kill c-diff. Clorox is one that will so when Jack and I go to a doctor's office, we carry Clorox wipes with us in the car.  We immediately use them on our hands when leaving the doctor's office. Also use them on your hands after using public restrooms.  If you ever have to be admitted to a hospital, take a large container of Clorox wipes with you, using them frequently on your hands and any furniture or door knobs that you have contact with. I make it a practice of doing this as c-diff is spread in hospitals and nursing homes very easily and sometimes becomes an epidemic with all patients at risk. 

Don't ask your doctor for an antibiotic if you have the sniffles or a viral infection.  It won't help and could put you at risk for c-diff. If you have to take antibiotics, take a probiotic in the morning and evening and also eat a brand of yogurt that has live cultures twice a day. This is being recommended by many doctors.

The following information should prove useful to you:

LIKELY TO CAUSE C. DIFFICILE:
Clindamycin
Keflex
Ceftin
Ceclor
All other cephalosporins
Amoxicillin
Augmentin

MIDDLE OF THE ROAD:
Cipro
Levoflex (also Levaquin)
Tequin
Avelox
Bactrim
Erythromycin
Biaxin
Zithromax

SAFE TO TAKE:
Macrodantin (Macrobid)
Sulfa
Aminoglycoside
Flagyl (metronidiazole)
Oral and IV Vancomycin

By the way, I have tested negative for c-diff  for a very long time and am not considered to be any more susceptible to "the beast" than you. My second cure--a last resort--gave me my life-saving cure. However, I continue to ask for prayer as I try to recover from the damage that was done to my weakened immune system.

No comments:

Post a Comment