Sunday, October 4, 2015

Round Two: My Second Battle with C-diff--2012-2015

Well, it was back to bedrest, nausea, fever, running to the bathroom and taking Vanco to try to cure the c-diff again. The medicine was now in liquid form and much less expensive, but even though I tried the method of using it as Dr. Beth had taught me, I didn't get better. My doctor had ordered home nurse visits and rehab for me but as weak as I was, it was difficult to measure my progress.  There were times of severe depression, especially when I realized what it was doing to my husband.  I would sometimes wish that God would take me home, but when I saw the love reflected on my husband's face and saw him kneeling in prayer at my bedside, I could not give up.

One day I received a call from my cousin Freda who lived about ninety miles away. We had been out of touch, and she had no idea how sick I had been. She had called to tell me about her brother Jack, who was one of my favorite male cousins.  I knew he had been battling cancer, but when she told me that he had died of a colon infection that I had probably never heard of, my heart nearly stopped. I replied back, "It was c-diff, wasn't it?"  When she replied that this was correct, I told her that I was fighting c-diff and had been for some time. Neither one of us knew what to say--at least at first. We prayed for one another and relived some good memories of her brother. I knew I couldn't get to the funeral, but I also believed my cousin was in Heaven.  Though I hadn't seen him in years, he lived and still lives in my heart.

I continually heard and hear from others who knew someone who had c-diff.  Many of them had died after finally beating the disease, but because it left them so susceptible to other health problems, they lost the fight.  It seemed like such an impossible battle, although I know that with Christ nothing is impossible. Every day, I remind myself of this and draw from my faith to believe that I will be productive again.  I did finally beat the c-diff again and have been free of it for some time...but the health problems still plague me.  I had my gall bladder removed and supposedly a mild heart attack. My latest attack was diagnosed as  Lyme disease. It is one thing after another!

 Now, you might be wondering how I was cured of c-diff the second time...something I will briefly explain.  I had just been discharged from the hospital and was talking with my gastroenterologist when he looked at me soberly and said, "Bettie, this c-diff is determined to kill you."  I agreed and looked at him helplessly.  Then he asked me if I had ever heard of a fecal transplant which was 99 percent successful in quickly defeating c-diff.  I had heard this mentioned in my support group but realized it was controversial and that only five hospitals in the United States performed the procedure. There is no way that I was well enough to travel--not even to attempt to save my life.  We talked further and he mentioned that if I had a donor who passed all the tests, this could be done at home. His exact words were "you have nothing to lose and a life to gain."  My primary care doctor had my husband thoroughly tested and he became my donor. The two of us performed the procedure with no one else present. I won't go into detail as to how this was done as it should be tried only with the help and advice of doctors. I was cured instantly; the procedure had worked, something I knew even before the tests proved me right.  And so today, I fight to get back my strength, desiring to become active in Church and also active as a wife, mother, grandmother, and a professional writer. I ask for your prayers in regard to this becoming a reality.

The next two sections of this blog will deal with the emotional feelings and social impact that c-diff had on my life and in many ways, continues to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment